Tuesday 15 November 2011

Alone



In a cage a single man
Soldered off from the rest
Sits in silence and, it may be said,
A peaceful acceptance
Of the unending
Solitude- his foe, his friend
Since the day he opened his unforgiving eyes .
And so the sights of war
Of play and of friendly spirit
Seem to him like trials
Of a foreign world far and beyond
His own, of iron wrought.

In the world live men together
Loving, laughing, speaking, fighting:
A team, a group, a family
A government, an army -
Tied by the silken threads of
Warm sentiments intangible.
And so this lonely man,
In his dark and cold prison cell:
Seems to them like they behold some
Strange and frightening manifestation:
Of the face of pain and of sorrow.

And as the world kills,
Screams, stabs:
Each man trying to make
The world his own:
The lonely man sits quiet
And still, living for himself:
No blood, no hate, no love
No gore.
The steel in his gaze, the stead of his stance-
Are virtues to the general brothers unknown.

I stand and watch these
Strange apparitions
In a silence that confounds me:
For I am a lonesome, caged soul
In a shared world born:
So I think of what I
Have been told.
Of what I see.
And finally facing my own soul,
I question the truth of the world in its whole:
What is the answer to my question,
The one we have always known:
Are the children of the universe
All for all, or one for one?

0 comments:

Post a Comment